Marsha Croninger wins Board of Trustees District 5 seat

Marsha Croninger and her husband Charles Croninger are met with a round of applause as they walk into Jill's Place after the election results on Tuesday, Nov. 6, in Santa Barbara, Calif. Croninger was competing against Darcel Elliott for the District 5 seat on the City College Board of Trustees and won by 61 percent of the vote.

Lauren Michelle McGee

Lauren Michelle McGee

Sydney Antil, News Editor

Following a close election, Marsha Croninger was re-elected as the District 5 representative to the Board of Trustees Tuesday, beating her opponent Darcel Elliott.

The final results put Croninger at 61 percent and Elliott with 37 percent of the 7,197 ballots cast for this election and while the race was one of three elections for the Board of Trustees, this particular seat had the highest voter turnout of the three.

“I’m excited to get back to work,” said Croninger to The Channels at her election party.

Throughout the race, the issue of housing came to the forefront of both Croninger and Elliott’s campaigns with Elliott focusing more on overall student need and Croninger focusing on the value and impact on the community. In the end, it was the community who decided to put Croninger back on the board.

During her first two terms on the board, Croninger fought for community programs such as the dual enrollment programs and the Adult Education program and even served briefly as the board’s president.

Despite losing her campaign, Elliott said she felt proud about her campaign and was really happy about all the support she received from the community during the race.

In addition to continuing to support the Santa Barbara community in her position at the county, Elliott said she hopes that the issues that were brought up during her campaign are still addressed on the Board.

“That’s what I really tried to accomplish with my campaign was to have a conversation about these bigger issues that have kind of been swept under the rug for a long time,” said Elliott. “I just hope that they actually get brought to light and don’t get pushed back under the rug.”

1 Comment

One Response to “Marsha Croninger wins Board of Trustees District 5 seat”

1. J Livingston on November 7th, 2018 11:06 am

What was close about a 61% to 37% election? That is called a landslide by any definition. The voices of SBCC District Five voters were heard. This is the community voice an elected SBCC trustee brings to the SBCC shared governance decision-making table.

The whole point of local community college trustee elections is to remain responsive to the local community, and not just dictates that come exclusively out of Sacramento. Congratulations Trustee Croninger. Your platform was sound.