Campus email practices could improve with a few adjustments

The Channels Opinion Pages | EDITORIAL

The Channels Editorial Board

With recent issues of uncivil debates on the “all campus” email and students persistently complaining about too many emails, it is clear we need some updates to our school’s email systems.

City College uses three large email groups to communicate information to faculty and students: the “all student” one sent to all students, the “all faculty” one sent to all teachers, and the “all campus” group, which includes all campus employees but excludes all students except for The Channels editors so that they could stay up to speed on campus news.

The Channels editors believe the “all campus” email should be moderated, in agreement with the College Planning Council, and that other changes should be made to the system to make it clear who is receiving these “all campus” emails.

We wish this forum could be completely open, but based on recent events, that format is no longer functional in our current political climate.

With the “all campus” email devolving into debates and what some believe is harassment or hate speech, it is clear we need to regulate these emails before they are sent out to employees on campus.

The “all student” email is moderated by Luz Reyes-Martin, executive director of public affairs and communications. She reads and approves every email before it is sent out to the student body.

The same regulation would ensure civil discourse on the “all campus” email.  The Channels uses a similar system to approve comments on articles.

The Academic Senate, Board of Trustees, College Planning Council and other campus governmental bodies should come up with a set of standards for what is acceptable in the group email for the regulator to judge content on.

It is necessary to regulate the “all campus” email to prohibit the sharing of personal information and to limit employees to promoting an event in their department.

Also, the name “all campus” email can be confusing and lead to some people thinking they are sending an email to more people than they actually are.

We propose changing the name of the “all campus” email to “all employee” to be clearer about who is receiving these group emails.

The proposal for regulation is set to go before campus governing bodies in the coming weeks and expected to go to the Board of Trustees by the end of the month.

There are also issues with student Pipeline emails.

Students’ Pipeline emails tend to get flooded with a lot of emails that repeat information they have already received or information which does not pertain to them.

It can be frustrating for students, especially new ones, to have to sift through so many emails to find the ones pertaining to their classes, such as Canvas notifications, and others containing important information such as emergency updates in the case of a fire etc.

Allowing students to unsubscribe from certain kinds of emails could help reduce the clutter and make students more responsive to emails.

Currently students have no way to opt out of unwanted emails sent through the “all student” email.

Students would welcome the chance to limit their emails to the ones pertaining to their interests, major and classes.

While people might believe the campus event they are promoting is important, some students might not want to receive three reminders about it.

Also, one way of helping students manage their emails could be requiring an online orientation on how to organize a Gmail inbox, the platform Pipeline email uses. The same information could be included in a tab on Pipeline.

Learning how to use email is an important skill for work after college and so it’s important to  encourage students to get comfortable with email.

Email is one of the main ways information is communicated on campus, and so we need to pay special attention to our email systems to guarantee they stay civil and convenient.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Campus email practices could improve with a few adjustments”

1. Taylor on May 6th, 2018 4:48 pm

Still pondering how the college sends and allows commercial subject emails to ALL students with no option for unsubscription. I filed a complaint with the FCC againaist the college for violation of the CAN-SPAM Act.

2. Sean on May 8th, 2018 2:55 pm

Because pipeline email is really GMail, you can MUTE (unsubscribe) any discussion in pipeline.

Open Pipeline mail
    Click on the MORE button in the top toolbar, you will find a drop-down menu.
    Click on MUTE

You will not receive any more notifications from that thread.

3. Liz S. on May 8th, 2018 2:30 pm

Ahh, now I understand more. I was wondering why I (as a student) wasn’t getting those “All Campus” emails so much has been written about. I do get emails from SBCC, but now I understand there are two different groups. I agree that the school should change the name to “All Employees” (if that’s who are getting them) and keep the one for students separate.

And as I understand it, the student ones are already moderated?

• Campus email practices could improve with a few adjustments

Editorials

Out-of-area students provide SBCC with culture of diversity

Editorials

Cutting down remedial courses may help some but hurt others

Editorials

We can’t get Americans to the polls without fixing the system

Editorials

SB housing crisis is bigger than any single candidate or election

Editorials

The difference between free speech & forcing views on others

Editorials

Teachers should not be allowed to sleep with their students

Editorials

There is no amount of training that can prepare you to take a life

Editorials

Governor Brown should reconsider his plan to create a fully online college

Editorials

President Trump’s repeal of DACA is immoral and un-American

Editorials

Bus system changes could make SBCC students’ commute easier