SBCC volleyball loses 3-2 to Pasadena in intense match

City College outside hitter Jazz Hill (No. 14) attempts a spike against Pasadena City College middle blockers Jada O’Mally (left, No. 8) and Rachel Johnson (No. 16) at the Sports Pavilion gym at City College in Santa Barbara, Calif., on Saturday, Sept. 8, 2018.

Alejandro Gonzalez Valle

Alejandro Gonzalez Valle

Sierra Shelton, Staff Writer

After an intense match against Pasadena City College Saturday, the City College Women’s volleyball team learned that the only way to become a champion team is to learn from past mistakes.

Jazz Hill, Sophomore outside hitter said that the team’s 3-2 loss served as instruction for where the group can improve.

The Vaqueros put forth strong efforts during Saturday morning’s match with set scores of 25-18, 17-25, 25-21, 19-25 and 15-11.

Hill, Freshman setter Danielle Hewitt, and Freshman right side hitter Jacque Ortegon kept high spirits among the matches as they fed off of the crowd’s high energy and the coach’s enthusiasm on the home court opposite their opponents.

Hill credits the team’s steady composure to its members’ chemistry and optimism going into their next match against Long Beach City.

“I’m pretty close with everyone considering the short time frame I’ve been on the team. Everyone is really, really great and really supportive despite our downfalls,” she said.

Hill, originally from Calabasas and a transfer from Catholic University in Washington, D.C., said communication is a huge factor in the success of the team.

“The East Conference was completely different but I mean it’s like I said, the girls on my team are extremely competitive, everyone’s reaching for the same goal,” she said. “The people who were on the team last year made a really big point of that this year because the communication hasn’t been the same, so we are trying to focus on communication and getting everybody together and on the same pace.”

City College played a close match, starting strong with a seven point lead in the first set. Although Pasadena City claimed the second set with six point lead in return.

City College alumnus and now assistant coach, John Newton, explained the components the team can adjust to prepare for their next match.

“We’re increasing our serving and we’re gonna make some adjustments while passing so we can clean that up,” he said. “We’re focusing on our close contact.”

Although there is room for improvement, the Vaqueros didn’t go down without a fight. After losing the previous match by six points, City College pulled through with a four point lead.

The players were visibly determined as they focused down the court, almost completely tuning out the exclamations from the crowd. They fought tooth and nail with Vaquero defensive specialist Emma Esparza taking a rough plunge towards the ball, missing by merely inches.

This play set the tone for the rest of the fourth match, as they left the match with a 3-2 loss but were still in high spirits.

The team will play its next two matches at 11 a.m and 3 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 15 at home against Cerritos College and Contra Costa College, respectively.

5 Comments

5 Responses to “SBCC volleyball loses 3-2 to Pasadena in intense match”

1. McDaniels on September 10th, 2018 1:09 pm

I enjoyed this article, it is professional and well written. The stats are accurate, I appreciate the hard work and effort. Accuracy is a gift and talent that is often overlooked and hard to find now a days. Thank You

[Reply]

2. Marcia Steele on September 10th, 2018 1:19 pm

This is a very well written article. CONGRATULATIONS on your well spoken and word for word on every play. Great job Sierra.

[Reply]

3. A’Nina Shearin on September 10th, 2018 2:19 pm

Great Article!!! Good Luck next time ladies!!! ♥️♥️♥️

[Reply]

4. Shelly on September 10th, 2018 3:14 pm

Congratulations to all the athletes. A special shout out to the writer Sierra for such a well written article. Made me feel like I was there. Great job

[Reply]

5. Rubin Williams on September 14th, 2018 8:49 am

I stumbled upon this article and was surprised to find that the Staff Writer was my niece Sierra Shelton. It was written with zeal, was accurate, and CAPTURED my attention. I had no idea she was writing for anyone. This artistry should be encouraged and rewarded, it is a direct result of vision and the ability to cite what is seen accurately. Thank you Sierra.

[Reply]

• SBCC volleyball loses 3-2 to Pasadena in intense match

Sports

Lady Vaqueros start the season off strong with a 3-1 victory

Sports

SBCC football plans to raise the bar with ‘locally grown’ team

Featured Sports Story Carousel

SBCC Football loses home opener to San Bernardino Valley

Featured Athlete

SBCC track star finishes season off strong at WSC Championships

Sports

Tennis and Chick-fil-A — a successful career at City College

Sports

Cross country runner breaks world record at La Playa stadium

Sports

SBCC swim and dive finishes season ranked seventh in state

Sports

SBCC men’s golf advances to Regional Championships

Sports

SBCC women’s tennis comes up short in State Tournament

Sports

SBCC baseball advances to playoffs for 8th straight year