Grand theft auto and silly string defacement in last week’s crimes

Katie James, Associate Editor

Sept. 28 – 3:30 p.m.

A student reported minor damage to their vehicle parked in lot 1-A when they returned to it after class. The damage consisted of a slight scratch to the left rear bumper.

Sept. 29 – 5:20 p.m.

A student reported that their bike had been stolen after they left it locked to the bike rack next to the Learning Resource Center overnight. They found what appeared to be their cut bike lock in the spot where they had left the bike. The bike was a white, Giant brand mountain bike and had an estimated worth of $12,000 which makes the theft, technically, grand theft auto. The student was encouraged to file a formal report with the Santa Barbara Police Department.

Sept. 30 – 11:30 a.m.

Security issued a ticket for misuse of handicap placards and confiscated the placard from a vehicle in parking lot 2-C.

Sept. 30 – 12:45 p.m.

A student reported a suspected stolen laptop to the security office, but it was later discovered to not be stolen. The student was with some friends in the Physical Science Building and when he got up to use the bathroom, his friend thought he left campus. He grabbed the student’s laptop and took it with him so he could return it to him. When the friend heard that the student thought his laptop had been stolen, he emailed him to let him know that he in fact had his laptop and that it was all a misunderstanding.

Sept. 30 – 4:05 p.m.

A male student returned to his car parked at Pershing Park to find silly string and a white powdery substance on the hood of his car. He stated that he suspects his ex-girlfriend was responsible since he claims while they were together she admitted to doing something similar in the past to another ex-boyfriend.