Regulations on student-teacher sexual relationships to go before academic senate

Sydney Antil, Channels Staff

Teachers who pursue sexual relationships with students could face Title IX investigations under a proposed revision to college rules set to go before the Academic Senate on Wednesday.

Administrative Procedure 3430 defines the college’s rules on how harassment allegations are to be investigated and resolved, explicitly identifying what constitutes harassment as well as the steps to be taken to reprimand guilty parties.

“When we looked at this, we saw that the language about faculty-student sexual or romantic relationships was that it is to be discouraged, but discouraging something is very soft for what we felt it should be,” said Priscilla Butler, academic senate president.

The Board Policies Administrative Procedure Committee (BPAP) reviews all of City College’s board policies and administrative procedures every few years. BPAP is currently working through the chapter that outlines the college’s harassment policy and is taking the opportunity to make changes.

Josh Villanueva, associated student government president, said that he believes relationships between students and teachers shouldn’t cross a certain boundary. The proposed changes to the procedures went before student senators at their meeting on Friday, March 2, and were approved unanimously.

The proposed change to the policy reads that despite both parties being of age to consent, there is still a power imbalance due to teachers’ “responsibility to assign grades, which can have long-lasting impacts on the student’s permanent academic record.”

Priscilla Butler, president of the academic senate

Daniel Feldtkeller

Butler said that BPAP wanted to make the wording clear and specific, because there is a power imbalance in a relationship between students and faculty. The power held by faculty members to assign grades, assign different types of work, and give preferred treatment is something that should not be taken lightly.

“There’s two potential areas of abuse there. One is using that power to coerce a student into an unwanted relationship and I think it’s very hard for the person in the less powerful position to decline,” said Butler. “The other factor is that if the other students in the class become aware of the relationship and they think ‘wow, my professor is giving this student special things, A’s or good assignments for their projects because of their relationship, I’m not being treated fairly.’”

Another proposed rule states that “A faculty member who engages in a sexual or romantic relationship with a student currently enrolled in that faculty member’s class will be referred to human resources for a Title IX investigation. Depending on the findings of the title IX investigation, an appropriate remedy up to and including termination will be included.”

Butler said she believes the #MeToo movement has shown that society sometimes looks the other way in cases where the line between what is and is not acceptable is blurred.

“We don’t want to have the field of ambiguity around such an important relationship. We want to have clear lines about what is ok and what is not,” said Butler.“We want to move forward with everybody understanding what those lines are.

“I think at this time in our country’s history in particular, making that very clear is especially important.”

The changes to Administrative Procedure 3430 are scheduled to go before the Academic Senate Wednesday.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Regulations on student-teacher sexual relationships to go before academic senate”

1. Bob Faulkner on March 13th, 2018 3:19 pm

About this item:

“A faculty member who engages in a … romantic relationship with a student currently enrolled in that faculty member’s class”

I would think that would refer to a new relationship. A husband and wife would fit into this category, too, I think. (Not that a person should take classes from a spouse; but, that might happen in extension courses, or non-academic courses.

[Reply]

2. Mark McIntire on March 13th, 2018 4:32 pm

Bravo. Faculty using sex as bait for an ‘A ‘are as invidious as they are insidious. They should be cast out. They should not be teaching. anywhere. The same applies to students using ‘sex’ as bait to get that ‘A’ it seems to me.

Missing in this declaration is any mention of protection for the falsely accused”pursuer” of the sexual relations in question. “Pursuer” is a value term. It is a relative term. In my 50 years teaching I’ve been ‘pursued’ by both men and women seeking an ‘A’ in my class. Common sense told me this was immoral and doomed to go horribly wrong.

But worst of all, “sex for grades” corrupts those placed in our charge to honor, respect, and nurture into good character.

Who exactly is the “pursuer'” and who is the ‘pursued’. Good luck with any investigation tasked with determining that conundrum. It would require the wisdom of King Solomon if not God herself. I recommend that the Academic Senate include metrics for making the determination about who exactly is being ‘pursued’ and who precisely is the ‘pursuer’. I nominate as ombudsman King Solomon to the Academic Senate….or better yet, God herself as ombudswoman.

— Cordially
    Mark McIntire

[Reply]

• Regulations on student-teacher sexual relationships to go before academic senate

News

SBCC student falls off cliff in I.V.

News

Skating accident and backpack theft in this week’s crime log

News

SBCC Trustees approve new committee despite backlash

News

Academic Senate considers anti-bullying, harassment resolutions

News

President Beebe apologizes for gender equity issues on campus

News

Grand theft auto and silly string defacement in last week’s crimes

News

SBCC, ex-philosophy instructor agree to $120,000 settlement

News

Student senate attempts to overturn controversial meat ban

News

Student senate aims to strengthen its public relations

News

Board of Trustees discusses renovations on campus