SBCC student senate proposes bylaw to ban meat products

Sydney Antil

On Friday the Student Senate considered passing a bylaw that would restrict all Associated Student Government funds from being spent on meat products.

The proposal came from student Robert Coronado, who stated that animals were not the only beings to benefit from the change. He argued that consuming less meat and switching to a plant-based diet contributes to the decline of heart disease risk and decreases gases that affect climate change.

“We’re hoping that this event will pass because it will send a message to the entire student body and it is an educational institution,” Coronado said. “We should be educating people about these issues…plus they can always purchase meat on their own.” 

The bylaw proposal states, “All ASG funds including but not limited to the Student Representation Fund and the ASG General Fund will not be used to purchase any food products that contain meat. This restriction does not apply to ASG’s trips to out of town conferences or to club grants.”

While this change would only pertain to events funded by the student government, the concern from the senate centered around whether or not restricting people’s food options is the example they want to set as student leaders.

Nick Currie

Nick Currie

Nicholas Currie, the student government secretary, said he was against the change, stating that he didn’t believe it was right to take away students’ power. He said students should have a choice to make the “right decision” or not. 

“I think our job is to advocate for all the students rights” Currie said. “I don’t think restricting a student’s choice at an ASG event is the right way to go about teaching people to save the planet. I feel like that’s really communistic.”

The senate also discussed how co-sponsored events would be affected by the change.

“Let’s say EOPS comes up to us and says we have this great event, we want you to be involved, we just need some money,” said Joshua Oken, vice president of internal affairs. “We’d have to say no if they’re serving meat.”

Nicholas Hofstatter, the commissioner of sustainability, said that while he understands where everyone is coming from with their oppositions, he believes that the restriction is the first step to making City College more globally responsible.

“If we want to do something to actually make a change, we need to start acting now,” said Hofstatter.

According to Student Senate President Joshua Villanueva, after the bylaw change is formally proposed, students will have one week to comment before the senate votes on it the following week. However, no motion was proposed during Friday’s meeting.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “SBCC student senate proposes bylaw to ban meat products”

1. Isabel Nava Rodriguez on February 12th, 2018 11:07 am

I agree with Nicholas Currie, I am against the change. We the students of SBCC should have a\ choice to eat meet or not. I am next to you Nicholas, I will make sure that my friends from school will be with you.

2. Liz S. on February 12th, 2018 4:44 pm

Here we go again. The self righteous telling us how to live, what to eat, how much we should make and more.

SUGAR is worse that meat! Why not dump that instead? Along with the ‘fake’ sugars as well (which it’s starting to come out that they are worse than the real sugars).

If you really want to protect those living things, perhaps you should become an ULTRA Vegan!! They only eat plants that have died a natural death! Well, some say Ultra’s can eat any veggie/fruit as long as it doesn’t kill the host plant. ie: No carrots, but fruits and nuts are okay (hmmm… yeah there’s a correlation there isn’t there?) Grains are out as they have to be harvested. But squash is fine because you can ‘pick’ them.

Where will the madness end?!?! Quit trying to force others to live like YOU THINK they should live. I like my steaks and burgers and sushi and hot dogs and, and, and… HUMANS are OMNIVORES – NOT Herbivores or Carnivores! That means we were ‘designed/evolved’ to eat BOTH plant and animal.

3. xakjdhiuwqwef on February 19th, 2018 10:14 pm

I totally agree. These people have lost their minds!