SBCC women’s basketball takes third place in MXTE tournament

Lady Vaqueros guard Jennae Mayberry attempts a lay-up against MiraCosta College on Sunday, Nov. 11, inside the Sports Pavilion gym at City College in Santa Barbara, Calif. Mayberry missed the shot, but the Vaqueros still defeated MiraCosta College, 87-82.

Alejandro Gonzalez Valle

Alejandro Gonzalez Valle

Alejandro Gonzalez Valle

Sarah Maninger, Staff Writer

The Vaquero women’s basketball team beat MiraCosta College 87-82 Sunday, taking third place in the MXTE tournament and setting a record for the most points scored in a game this year.

“We came together as a team,” said Sophomore guard Jannae Mayberry. “Our team chemistry was spot on.”

The atmosphere inside the Sports Pavilion was fierce. As fans awaited the final round of the three-day tournament, the Vaqueros gathered in a huddle, shouting “SBCC” as loud as they could. The Santa Barbara fans were ready for a victory, and so were the players.

Although the MiraCosta Spartans scored nearly 40 points in the game’s first half, the Vaqueros roared back from a first-period 23-24 deficit to lead 50-39 at the half.

City College was 3-1 going into the game. Previously that weekend, they had beaten De Anza College 51-48 in the tournament’s first round Friday and lost to Solano College 66-59 Saturday.

“Yesterday was more of a grind,” said assistant coach Devin Engebretsen, noting Solano’s elite defense.

Vaquero point guard Aaliyah Pauling started off strong, scoring several three-pointers early in the game, which helped the team score a total of ten three pointers by the game’s end.

“The other girls feed off of her,” Engebretsen said on Pauling’s strong offensive outing.

Fouls on both sides contributed to the high score of the game, but a combination of quick, efficient passes lead Santa Barbara to a third place finish in the tournament.
With Sunday’s win, the Vaqueros boosted their season record to 4-1, with plenty of games left to play. The team demonstrated it is capable of playing with persistence and perseverance.

“I always want to keep growing off my best,” Mayberry said.

The Vaqueros next game is scheduled for Friday, Nov. 30 against Imperial Valley College in the Victory Valley Crossover.