SBCC men’s soccer scores game-tying goal in last ten seconds

Oxnard College players follow close behind City College player Ameyawu Muntari (No.2) as he passes the ball on Tuesday, Oct. 30 at Santa Barbara City College's La Playa Stadium. The Condors and Vaqueros tied 1-1.

Lauren Michelle McGee

Lauren Michelle McGee

Christy Tomerlin, Sports Editor

The Vaquero men’s soccer saved the best play for last as Austin Garitone headed the ball into the net in the last ten seconds, sending the team running towards each other in celebration, and a standing ovation from the crowd.

The boys walked off the field high fiving Head Coach John Sisterson and pulling off their cleats with huge smiles on their faces for fighting until the very end and walk off with a 1-1 tie.

“Both teams had a number of chances,” Head Coach John Sisterson said after the game. “The boys never stopped playing hard and we deserved the tie. We really needed that to keep our playoff hopes alive.”

The boys walked out onto the field warmed up and pumped for the game, hyping each other up.

The first half of the game was slow with no fouls, penalties, or goals. The Oxnard College Condors outshot City College in the first half with eight shots on goal while the Vaqueros only shot six on goal, yet still no shots were put in the back of the net.

After a scoreless first half, the first goal was scored against the Vaqueros in the 51 minute by Alfonso Lopez, assisted by Jose Reyna. This set off tension and forced the Vaqueros to put even more pressure on the Condors.

Not until the very last minute of the game did Oscar Drevland cross the ball to Juan Zarate who headed the ball to Garitone, about 15 yards away. Garitone also used his head to put the ball in the right back corner of the net, tie the game and score his first college goal.

“I saw Juan going to the back post, so I hung back a few steps because I knew he would put it back in the box,” said Garitone. “ “It was set-up perfectly and that’s exactly what we needed to pick the team up, move forward and hopefully get into the playoffs.”

The Condors outshot the Vaqueros 15-13 overall and both teams ended the game with zero fouls.

Nathan Iunes made his first start at midfield due to an injury that sidelined captain Adrian Gamez. The new set up helped the team keep their sights set on playoffs, and not be knocked out of the running.

Aside from Garitone’s goal, few shots by the Vaqueros were placed on goal. Celso Lagunas managed to almost make it in when Condor goalie Ian Hernandez blocked the first one. Pedro Ruiz nearly scored as well but bounced the ball off the crossbar, giving the team a little more confidence in themselves.

The Vaqueros do not have many more chances to rack up wins for a better spot in playoffs, however, while time is running out, the Vaqueros energy isn’t.

With only three games left the Vaqueros will host Moorpark on Friday in their last home game at La Playa at 6:30 p.m., then hit the road on Tuesday to L.A. Mission 2 p.m. and Friday, Nov. 9 at Santa Monica, 1 p.m.