SBCC women’s water polo dominates tournament

Kemi Dijkstra, utility player for the Lady Vaqueros, scores the fourth goal in the first quarter of the game against the Gauchos on Saturday, Oct. 27, at Santa Barbara High School in Santa Barbara, Calif. Dijkstra scored three goals against UCSB, and City College won the game, 13-5.

Alejandro Gonzalez Valle

Alejandro Gonzalez Valle

Sierra Shelton, Staff Writer

Santa Barbara City College women’s water polo team celebrated yet another win against UCSB’s club team in the Halloween Tournament Saturday at Santa Barbara High School.

The Vaqueros dominated this weekend’s tournament, defeating LA Valley, Saddleback College, and LA Pierce before adding the cherry on top with a final victory over the Gauchos.

Playing four games in one day as early as 8:45 a.m., the team toughed it out despite their gradual fatigue and the hurdles that came with it.

A generous crowd of families and students actively supported from the bleachers at the pool which is tucked away behind the gym by the surrounding hills and trees,

The support was necessary, as the team fed on their loved ones and peers energy.

Despite how tired they were or what the game threw at them, the Vaqueros were all smiles in the water, proclaiming that “they should have fun too,” said Sophomore utility Kemi Dijkstra.

“We just went out there and had fun with each other and that’s when we played the best, I think,” said Dijkstra.

Exhaustion was just one obstacle, another being an injury when Sophomore goalie Melisa Walk was struck in the head and was subbed out for the remainder of the game by Nicole Poulos.

Despite the abrupt adjustment, the team maintained a flow on their defense, constantly keeping the ball in motion and using creative tactics to earn a goal.

Shortly before half-time, Dijkstra failed an attempt at a backhand goal, but regained control of the ball and returned for vengeance and the goal she previously missed only moments before.

The team navigated quickly as they instructed each other in the water, with Coach Chuckie Roth instructing from the bench and goalie Nicole Poulos counting off the shot clock for the others to hear from across the pool.

“We changed a lot as a team since the beginning of the year. But, I think for the better as you learn more about yourself and your teammates,” said Roth who is preparing the team for Conference next week.

“We have our eyes set on post-season and we just focus on winning conference,” said Roth.

As they found their groove, the team navigated another issue in the fourth quarter when Poulos was temporarily ejected for committing a foul in a case of what the coach calls a “lack of control.” Utility Emma Fraser, Erika Meuhring, and Hana Wigzell stepped up their defense as a result.

The slip-up wasn’t a case of sink or swim the team, as they remained up by almost 10 points the entire game.

The scoreboard foreshadowed the apparent outcome of the game, but the crowd was still on their feet until the last seconds of the tournament.

Throughout the various mishaps and physical exertion put in, the Lady Vaqueros won 13-5, leaving the pool revved up for Conference.

1 Comment

One Response to “SBCC women’s water polo dominates tournament”

1. Sasha on October 29th, 2018 10:34 pm

Wow, what a great win for the SBCC women’s water polo team!

• SBCC women’s water polo dominates tournament

Sports

SBCC women’s basketball takes third place in MXTE tournament

Sports

SBCC football ends season with a one point loss against Pasadena

Sports

SBCC women’s volleyball team loses 3-0 in final home game

Sports

SBCC Women’s Soccer defeats Allan Hancock in a 4-0 win

Sports

SBCC men’s soccer cruised their way to a 6-1 win over Moorpark

Sports

SBCC women’s basketball wins seasons first game by a point

Featured Sports Story Carousel

SBCC men’s soccer scores game-tying goal in last ten seconds

Sports

Women’s soccer triumphs with 11-0 against Oxnard College

Sports

Women’s Basketball plans to run their way through the season

Featured Sports Story Carousel

SBCC men’s soccer loses in heated game full of fouls