SBCC women’s soccer extends home-win streak to 14 games

Isabella Viana (No. 11) beats Ventura College's midfielders to the ball as the Vaqueros continued to put pressure on the Pirates on Friday Sept. 12, 2018, at La Playa Stadium in Santa Barbara, Calif. City College defeated Ventura College 3-1.

Thomas Fernandez

Thomas Fernandez

Christy Tomerlin, Sports Editor

The Vaqueros soccer team dribbled their way around Ventura City College for their fifth win in a row Friday at La Playa stadium.

The team used its proficient communication skills and teamwork to beat Ventura 3-1.

“I’m here and ready to win,” said sophomore Mila Ladek as she got ready to play, not knowing she would soon score her first goal of the season.

The players said they were not nervous, but rather excited to put what they learned in practice into a game.

“I have absolutely no concern about how were going to do today,” said Christy Gates-Bowes, the Vaqueros assistant coach.

The team used their winning streak to pump themselves up before the game and prepare. According to Bowes, their strategy is “to win,” nothing more and nothing less. This strategy has worked in the team’s favor so far, and it did this Friday as well.

“We let the other team worry about us, we don’t worry about the other team,” Bowes said.

The Ventura Pirates struggled to hold their ground when Ladek rushed her way towards the goal, assisted by midfielder Lourdes Marin-Rodrigues, and put the ball in the back of the net at the 17 minute mark, setting off a big cheer from her teammates.

The second goal was scored by Ashlee Schouten and assisted by freshman Monica Vallecilla and sophomore Riley Moore 66 minutes in, increasing the team’s confidence even more. Not 10 minutes later Moore and Ladek assisted Isabella Viana in a goal, prompting her team members to show off their fun handshakes.

The Vaqueros played a fairly clean game aside from two yellow cards given to Vaqueros player Jessica Salas in the first half and Pirates player Paulina Aldrete in the second half.

The players outshot Ventura 17-15 with seven of them on goal also made two more saves than the Pirates. Sophomore goalie Holly Telliard made six saves in Friday’s game making it her fourth shutout of the season.

Winning this game means the Vaqueros extended their home-win streak to 14 games.

Head Coach John Sisterson was very proud of the players on their performance and left the field with a big smile on his face.

“We knocked the ball around, we were aggressive, we defended and we didn’t concede a goal. And we scored three great goals, that’s all you can ask,” Sisterson said.

The Vaqueros will face their next battle against Cuesta College at 6:30 p.m., Tuesday, at La Playa stadium.