SBCC star quarterback suffers from a loss and an injury

City College defensive back Patrick Dill returns the kick off from Citrus College at La Playa Stadium at City College in Santa Barbara, Calif., on Saturday, Sept. 22, 2018. The Vaqueros were defeated 34-13.

Alejandro Gonzalez Valle

Alejandro Gonzalez Valle

Alejandro Gonzalez Valle

Neil Erickson, Staff Writer

The Vaqueros lost star quarterback Jeremiah Nicholson following an injury Saturday in their 34-13 loss to the Citrus College Fighting Owls.

Nicholson injured his leg running the ball in the 3rd quarter. The severity of the injury is currently unknown.

“Got to get an MRI, get it checked out. We won’t know until then,” Nicholson said.

City College has now lost two of its best quarterbacks, which could be a huge blow for the team for the rest of the season.

City College star running back Will Bayonne had to be carried off the field after an injury in the fourth quarter.. The severity of the injury is unknown. Shouts of encouragement and “I love you Will,” came from his teammates as he was helped off the field.

Both teams played good defense to start the game, forcing punts both ways. The first points of the game came off of the Owl’s James Brown’s 26 yard run. The Owls continued to put the pressure on the Vaqueros, scoring another touchdown on their next position, putting City College into a 14-0 hole.

City College began their next possession with a 40 yard gain on the kick return. They finished the possession with an incredible diving touchdown caught by RJ Tolson for a 27 yard gain, giving the crowd life for one of the very few times this game.

The second quarter was rough for the Vaqueros after two fumbles led to two touchdowns for the Owls. The first half ended with a 28-7 lead for the Owls.

The Vaqueros improved in the second half, playing great defense and allowing only one touchdown. The Vaqueros were also able to connect on two field goals, but it was not enough for them to overcome the large halftime deficit.

The second half was full of penalties for the Owls. Citrus had 10 penalties for 107 yards and the Vaqueros had four for 20.

Citrus’ running backs dominated the game combining for 304 yards, compared to City College’s 56. James Brown led the game with 117 rushing yards.

“The biggest thing is I’m proud of the guys,” said head coach Craig Moropoulos. When asked about what he will focus on for the team for next game he said, “Everyday is what I focus on.”

The Vaqueros’ next game will be against the Marauders 6pm Saturday in Antelope Valley.