Unopposed 16-year-old to run for student senate president

Christianne Rojo

An unopposed 16-year-old student will be running for student senate president tomorrow in the Campus Center.

Three other positions will also go uncontested, while two senators will run for student trustee.

Student senators will be making speeches in platforms held on campus, billed as an opportunity for students to become familiar with senators. Elections will take place from April 27 to April 30.

Senator Emily Harrington, a 16-year-old political science major plans to run for president.

Harrington is earning her high school diploma this semester from City College through a special student status petition from the California State Department of Education.

“I was required to go through an extensive process in order to become a full-time student without having a high school diploma,” said Harrington. “I am 16, but I am considered a freshman in college.”

She said most of her peers on campus do not even know how young she is and would most likely be surprised if they found out. Harrington assures those who are hesitant to vote for her that she is a mature, responsible young lady ready to lead.

“I have experience in student leadership and believe that I can be a very suitable and passionate officer,” said Harrington. “My ambition is to represent the student body to the best of my ability.”

To run for a senate position candidates must follow a detailed process. Senators must fill out a lengthy packet, which requires four faculty member signatures, as well as one from a vice president and a dean, which must nominate them.

The senators must obtain 100 signatures from City College students and must give four classroom presentations.

Nicole Ridgell and Benjamin Goedert are running against each other for the position of student senate trustee.

If elected, Ridgell, a biomedical science major, plans to open up new means of communication in which students can voice their opinions. Ridgell’s idea is a student discussion web site.

“Students have a great amount of power in number and in voice,” Ridgell wrote in her platform. “The student voice is extremely important. I am insistent on stressing its significance.”

Goedert, a political science major, hopes to be elected as trustee so he can encourage students and senate to have a closer relationship in order to effectively resolve issues around campus that most affect the student body.

“I believe it is important for the students to feel comfortable at school and encourage my fellow students to participate in events hosted around City College,” Goedert wrote in his platform. “As student trustee I aim to make the concerns of the student body most visible to the board of trustees.”

Commissioner of Clubs and Organizations, Atty Garfinkel, will be running for vice president of senate affairs. Garfinkel, a natural history and biology major, has served on the student senate for the past academic year.

Garfinkel hopes to establish a student dialog with the instructor’s association.

“I would like to work towards giving our student representatives on the Academic Senate, Board of Trustees, College Planning Committee and the Academic Policies Committee a vote,” Garfinkel wrote for her platform.

Applying for vice president of external affairs is Kevin Fock, an English major.

“I am interested in implementing a program that aggressively pursues student representation on a state level,” Fock wrote in his platform.

Jason Stanley, a business administration major, is running for the position of student advocate.

“I want to be able to represent the student body here on campus,” Stanley said. “I want to take their concerns to the campus commissioners and student senators to voice their opinions.”

The Student Senate will release results of the elections after noon on Monday, May 4.

Garfinkel was quick to give advice to senators who are running for the first time.

“First and foremost you have to talk to the students. How can you represent the student body if you don’t know where they come from?” she said. “And run a clean campaign.”