Katzenson breaks tie for student president in final minute

Hannah Smith, Staff Writer

The 2013-14 Associated Student Senate elections ended today in dramatic fashion with crucial votes coming in at the last minute.

At 11:59 a.m. the presidential race between Elie Katzenson and Nicholas Steil was tied. Neekta Izadian and Mercy Campos were also at a standstill for the student advocate position.

The polls closed at noon.

After a long minute for the candidates, a presidential winner emerged by a single percentage point. The Student Advocate position remained at a tie and the winner will be officially announced at the senate meeting tomorrow at 9 a.m.

While the results are currently unofficial, the following are the winners of the 2013-14 Associated Student Senate elections:

Associated Student Government President: Elie Katzenson- A photography and political science major, Katzenson lost in a tight race last year to Geneva Sherman. This will be her first year as president.

Vice President Internal Affairs: Gracie Maynetto – A business and communications major, this is Maynetto’s first time holding an officer position on the senate.

Vice President Operations & Finance: Monica Villavicencio – Economics major with a minor in biochemistry. She has been a senator for the entire 2012-13 year.

Student Trustee: Levi Palencia – A global studies major and current student advocate. Palencia values student safety and equal representation for everyone.

Student Advocate: To be announced tomorrow at 9 a.m.

Senate advisor Amy Collins will announce all official election results March 3, 2013 senate meeting.