Women’s Empowerment Club creates inclusive environment

From left, Mirjam Maier speaks to Yvann Myren about female equality during the first meeting of the Women’s Empowerment Club on Thursday, Nov. 15, 2018, in the West Campus Center at City College in Santa Barbara, Calif. Myren, a 20-year-old Cty College student born in Norway, is the president of the Women’s Empowerment Club.

Nate Stephenson

Nate Stephenson

Nate Stephenson

Alex Degerlund, Staff Writer

Everyone needs a sense of community, a group of non-judgemental people you can talk to and rely on for support.

Coming into Santa Barbara for the first time, Norway native Yvonn Myren, 20, said she found it hard to find a community where she felt like she belonged as an international student, so she decided to start her own community where everyone is welcome — the Women’s Empowerment Club.

“We want to create a safe environment where people can talk about important topics that you might not talk about with just anyone,” she said.

“We want people to be able to talk about anything without being judged.”

She said she felt like there was a need for a women’s community on campus and that she wants everyone to leave club meetings feeling empowered. Topics they plan on discussing include self-development, relationships, values, culture and life in general. Although the club’s focus is to empower women, any person with a positive mindset can become a member and is welcome to be a part of the community.

“The goal is to help people figure out who they are and what their values are by having open minded discussions with common-minded people,” said Florentina Lang, the club’s vice president.

To help build a community within the club, it plans to arrange fundraisers, movie nights, field trips and guest lectures. One lecturer will be Jaqueline Mleczko, a communications instructor at City College and mentor for the Women’s Empowerment Club.

Mleczko said she instantly accepted Myren’s request for becoming a mentor for the club.

“Life is simply too short to not support one another and to not have faith in yourself,” she said.

She added that she remembers the struggle of not feeling connected to her school or peers.

“School, in all its entirety, should feel like a second home for students. A home that is filled with equality and support,” she said. “It was until I joined clubs just like Yvonn’s that I completely changed my educational experience.”

The club had its first meeting Thursday, Nov. 15 in the West Campus Center. There was seven club members present, and Myren said she hopes membership will increase as the club starts to market itself.

The club does not yet have a regular schedule for its club meetings. If you are interested in being a part of this club you can either join its Facebook group, SBCC Women’s Empowerment Club or follow their Instagram account at sbccweclub.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Women’s Empowerment Club creates inclusive environment”

1. Yvonn Myren on November 19th, 2018 7:37 pm

Thank you for featuring Women’s Empowering Club! You’re more than welcome to join our next meeting too 🙂

2. Elizabeth Singson on December 5th, 2018 10:18 am

I would LOVE to see this group bring in ‘regular’ women as speakers as well as those in the academic or feminist fields. They too have empowering thoughts and ideals that should be heard as well.

I know that my mother (she passed away recently) would have been a great person to do such. Married in the early 60’s and going through them as well as having 6 children and then ending up raising them on her own after my father died, she HAD to empower herself or our family would have been destroyed! She took a lot of flack for being a stay at home mom by other women who had kids and then went right back to work, something she used to say was “They just don’t know how great it is to have a job like mine – raising children to be their best.” We had our tough times, our sad times, our happy times and good times and when I once asked her if she regretted not going back to work (she had her Masters too!), she said “I would never want anyone else to raise my children.”

That has stuck with me forever and I am glad my mom was empowered enough to do what she KNEW was the best thing to do for us. Oh, and although growing up poor, not one of us has ended up in prison and 4 of us have degrees (the other 2 could care less, started businesses and are making more than the rest of us), all of us have children (except me, I am a lesbian) and we ALL get together for holidays no matter what.

Please find some women who have gone though those tough times but stuck to their family.

• Women’s Empowerment Club creates inclusive environment

SBCC Social Media Club helps students utilize online platforms

First semester student becomes Computer Science Club President and Student Senate Secretary

SBCC adult learning students display their work at annual fair

• Features

SBCC’s Umoja Program hires its first adviser for Spring 2019

SBCC art instructor gives lecture on how he creates abstract art

Chumash Native, activist on the injustices of indigenous people

Professionals in gaming and animation offer advice at panel

SBCC student parents speak out about struggle of juggling 2 roles

SBCC students start clothing company featuring unique art

Artist uses film to channel the experiences of deaf and hearing