Retiring justice studies professor leaves lasting mark on program

Dr.+Tom+Mahoney%2C+School+of+Justice+Studies+professor%2C+demonstrates+his+administration+of+justice+lecture+on+Wednesday%2C+Nov.+9%2C+in+his+classroom+at+City+College.+Mahoney+will+be+retiring+at+the+end+of+the+spring+semester+after+18+years+at+City+College.+
Dr. Tom Mahoney, School of Justice Studies professor, demonstrates his administration of justice lecture on Wednesday, Nov. 9, in his classroom at City College. Mahoney will be retiring at the end of the spring semester after 18 years at City College.

JULIA PIZZA

JULIA PIZZA

ANGELA ROSE BICKMANN, Channels Staff

Darkness awakens the night class studying the minds of murderers. A banner of student signatures in the back reads, “School of Justice Studies,” showing Professor Dr. Tom Mahoney’s accomplishments within the City College program over the past 18 years.

“Please help the old guy with the tired eyes out,” said Mahoney, former chair for the department.

After four years in the Marine Corps, 25 years as a police officer, and 38 years of teaching, Mahoney is ready to retire next semester.

“He really knows what he is talking about,” said student Jessica Magana.

Next semester will be his last at City College. He has no doubt in his mind Professor Anne Redding, current department chair, will keep the program running, growing and changing as necessary.

After Mahoney retires, Redding wants the department’s core values to stay the same as far as the direction they’ve been taking together over the years.

“He is my mentor,” said Redding. “I respect him immensely; his intellect, sense of humor, his commitment to making this particular program literally the best of any community college in the state.”

His students have grown through his education to become police officers, deputy sheriffs, attorneys, court reporters, FBI agents and probation officers.

Mahoney received his master’s degree in criminal justice at California State University, Los Angeles and his doctorate in public administration from the University of La Verne.

Before coming to City College, he taught justice studies at Rio Hondo College part-time, while working for the police department.  He has worked as police captain at the Culver City Police Department, and retired as a police chief for the South Pasadena Police Department in 1997.

City College hired him in 1999 as a full-time justice studies professor and department chair.

During his time at City College, Mahoney worked with Redding to turn the program into what it is today. He changed the program’s name from Administration of Justice, to the School of Justice Studies, and created two new degrees within the program, criminology and legal studies. Santa Barbara stands as the only community college in the state offering these degrees.

No one has been hired to replace Mahoney yet, and Redding is waiting for City College’s approval from the president’s office. The position will likely be filled because the School of Justice Studies was ranked highly by the Academic Senate for a replacement.

“In many ways, Dr. Mahoney cannot be replaced,” said Redding. “But as much as Dr. Mahoney has been perfect, we both recognize that it is an opportunity with a new person to think beyond what perhaps he and I have been doing,” Redding said.

He is content about his retirement in Spring 2017 and is certain Redding has everything under control. Spinning around his office chair, Mahoney embraced all the memories on the wall.

“We’ll see who gets the big office” he chuckled.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Retiring justice studies professor leaves lasting mark on program”

1. Dave Saunders on November 21st, 2016 5:07 pm

Well deserved recognition for a job extremely well done!

[Reply]

2. Donna Lewis on November 23rd, 2016 9:29 am

He’s got that whole gruff thing going on, but don’t let that fool you. He has a kind streak, an engaging way with presentation that seems informed by theater, and has not been content to rest on his many laurels. SBCC has been well served by Prof Mahoney.

[Reply]

• Retiring justice studies professor leaves lasting mark on program

Student president-elect’s goals are food, library, sustainability

Destress Fest, Dog Therapy Day preps students for finals week

Construction

SBCC construction students build framework for tiny house

Outgoing Student Government president leaves big shoes to fill

Vocational nursing director to retire after 18 years at SBCC

Clubs

New botany club inspires people to get passionate about plants

Sign language tutor invited to play volleyball at Deaflympics

Tech changes auto department over retiring chair’s 31 years

• Communication department

7 curse words win 32nd annual Lancaster speech tournament

Astronomy students learn about space expeditions, sustainability