Sisterson wins 100, women’s soccer clinches playoff berth

Santa Barbara City College

Santa Barbara City College

Santa Barbara City College

City College head soccer coach John Sisterson.

Madison Paglia, Staff Writer

The City College women’s soccer team victory over Moorpark on Tuesday marks the milestone 100th women’s win for eighth-year head coach John Sisterson.

Sisterson coaches both men’s and women’s soccer teams at City College. He boasts a 100-34-31 (.700) record with the women while guiding them to national rankings as high as #5 in 2011 and 2008.This years team is ranked No. 19 in the nation.

“[Sisterson and assistant coach Paul Hart] create the ultimate balance of a highly competitive, yet personally rewarding atmosphere that create opportunities for the young women on the team,” said Ryan Byrne, athletic director.

This year the women’s side sports a 10-3-4 record and clinching a playoff berth for the sixth consecutive season. The team has one more game against Cuesta College on Friday Nov. 9, before regional playoffs start on Saturday Nov. 17.

“I’m just happy to be on the team that was able to get him that win,” said freshman goalkeeper, Brianna Robinson. “He’s a great coach and a pretty funny guy once you get to know him.”

For eight years, the English-born coach has persisted to gain recognition for his players from four-year universities while building a reputation for City College as a top program. Last season Sisterson was named Coach of the year in the WSC North and the National Soccer Coaches Association of America west region after leading both the women (11-1 record) and men’s (12-1-1) team to the WSC titles.

It was the first time for one school to win both titles in the same year.

“Each year they are able to transfer several sophomore student-athletes to compete at major four-year universities and SBCC women’s soccer is recognized as a perennial powerhouse,” Byrne said. “That is almost all due to the great job by coach Sisterson and Paul Hart.”

Sisterson came to City College after being the head coach for the U.S. Women’s Deaf Olympic team (2003-2009) in which they won the gold to set a perfect 7-0 record in an Olympic competition.He has also coached at West Texas A&M University among other various schools at the high school and college level.

Sisterson’s overall record for men and women’s teams at City College is 185-64-50.