SBCC adult learning students display their work at annual fair

Jun Starkey, Staff Writer

Students from The School of Extended Learning displayed their works in another installment of their annual craft show Saturday.

On a clear and cold morning, dozens of students and teachers set up tables showcasing crafts and creations, many of which took months to create. Guests circled the courtyard slowly, taking in each display before moving on to the next.

Greta Halle and Meredith Clement, who have been taking sewing classes together for at least ten years, said the money they make at the craft fair goes towards funding their hobby.

“She’s my best friend,” Clement said. “We’ve always been a team.”

Halle makes aprons in an assortment of designs and colors, and Clement makes dog collars.

“I’ve sewn curtains, pillowcases, clothes, and my kids clothes,” Clement said. “It’s an amazing skill to have.”

The school also has a weaving class, one of the few classes students at the school have to pay for. Unlike the rest of the fair, the money weaving students make from selling their work goes right back into the program to help pay for their supplies.

Charlotte Gould, who has been taking the weaving class for eight years, said she enjoys learning skills that have been passed down from antiquity.

“These ancient skills like weaving and sewing are such a treasure to learn,” she said.

She slowly worked on the two rugs she was weaving as she spoke, threading each string through metal loops.

She added that rugs like the ones she was making, at around 6×9 feet, take about three months to make. However, she never sells anything she makes outside of school, giving them to friends and family instead.

Marian Shapiro, a potter and knitter, has been donating a large portion of her profits to Planned Parenthood for two years. Though it is only her second year at the craft fair, she has been taking classes for 16 years.

Shapiro is a former Director of Education at a Planned Parenthood chapter in Kansas, and says she has been pro-choice for most of her life.

After the inauguration of Donald Trump in 2017, she began knitting Pussy Hats, using the profits from them to support the group.

Though the main focus at the fair was her pottery, she had a pile of the hats on the table along with a sign explaining that the money made from them is donated. To date, Shapiro has donated $200 from selling them.

She added that while she enjoyed making the hats, her pottery is what she was most proud of.

“I just make things that I think look nice and I’m thrilled when someone likes my stuff.”