Student senate postpones Amendment A election

JULIA PIZZA, NEWS EDITOR

The Associated Student Government has decided to postpone the election for Amendment A until Feb. 21 to allow students and faculty more time to understand the proposed changes.

According to the timeline explained at the student senate meeting on Friday, the dates for the election were planned for Feb. 8 through Feb. 9.

Several students and faculty members were confused about items advertised for the amendment and had questions about what it actually entailed. As a result, student officers proposed the idea to postpone the election. Dr. Partee told The Channels this morning that he would send an email out with the date change so that the confusion can be resolved.

Dr. Partee sent an email to all faculty members this afternoon to let them know what to expect. It stated:  “The Office of Student Life has revised the voting period to 8:00 a.m. Tuesday, February 21st through Monday, February 27th ending at 11:59 p.m. This extension will allow students the necessary time to review the proposed Constitutional changes (an email outlining the proposed Constitutional changes will be sent to all students) and meet with current ASG members to discuss these proposed changes.”

Clarification: Feb. 7, 2017

A previous version of this story erroneously stated that Dr. Partee ordered postponing the election of Amendment A. In fact, the student officers originally suggested postponing the election, and Partee concurred. 

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Student senate postpones Amendment A election”

1. Leo Raabe on February 8th, 2017 3:50 pm

At 10:37 am on Wednesday, February 8, SBCC Dean of Student Affairs Dr. Benjamin Partee sent out a mass email to the SBCC student body notifying us of the new voting period for Amendment A. Included in the email were the current ASG Constitution and a draft of the revised Constitution, including the proposed changes comprising Amendment A. I first opened the email this morning, in a workroom for an SBCC lab class I am taking, and I mentioned the matter. That was when an instructor told me faculty members are saying that Amendment A includes a provision for members of the student government to pay themselves $1100 each, from the money allocated to our student government from the $1.00 fee that students pay upon registration. The only mention of this in Amendment A is the description of the “compensatory stipends” which Amendment A would authorize the ASG to pay ASG Officers, and the cryptic comment, “Additional provisions regarding stipends shall be delineated in the Bylaws.”

This compelled me to look further. I emailed Dr. Partee’s office and expressed my concern that in this case the word “stipend” amounts to unclear language, given that it is above the vocabulary level of courses offered at SBCC. I said that this language may have been left intentionally unclear to “slip one past” the student body. I noted the complete absence of any information regarding precisely how much the ASG is proposing to pay itself (without actually coming out and saying so in clear language.)

In my email I asked Dr. Partee two questions. I asked how we might go about finding our how much money we’re talking about here. I also asked if there is any way to inform the ENTIRE student body of the details of what is being proposed here (emphasis in original.)

Not only do I find it offensive that the Office of Student Affairs would circulate such misleading information, but I feel that it is only fair that concerned students be permitted to rebut the obfuscatory language which the ASG appears to be employing in an attempt to get the SBCC student body to approve them paying themselves. I am not opposed to the idea that our good student government works hard and deserves something for it. I do, however, feel that it is unfair that they can use the Office of Student Affairs to distribute misleading advertising in favor of their scheme, blasting it to the entire student body while other concerned students have no such resources at their disposal.

I have no corroboration for the claim that ASG are going to receive $1100 each. On the other hand, I have not yet received an answer to my two questions from Dr. Partee’s office. I only emailed them two and a half hours ago, so there is plenty of time. Meanwhile, of course, the ASG has got the jump on promoting what appears to be deceptively worded legislation. Meanwhile, we get to wait and see whether any of this will be clarified.

Near as I can figure, relegating details of the “stipend” to the ASG Bylaws probably means that, if Amendment A should be approved by the student body, it will be in the power of the ASG to write a revision to their Bylaws that specifies how much the ASG is actually going to pay themselves. If this is the case, then that is one detail that the Office of Student Affairs may not be able to provide me with. Nonetheless, Dr. Partee’s office ought to be able to find out how much money the ASG has at their disposal for such purposes.

Ordinarily I do not believe I would be so quick to jump on something like this. I have homework I should be doing right now. What’s got me riled is how closely this reminds me of what is going on in Washington D.C. these days.

[Reply]

Crystal Reply:

Hello,

I don’t think we should encourage money-seeking senators at SBCC and the advertisement encouraging a “yes” vote was obviously deceptive making me utterly disgusted. So, when is this open for voting so that I can vote NO?

Thanks!

[Reply]

2. Crystal on February 22nd, 2017 4:27 pm

Oops, I’m seeing the information above. Sorry.

Where is the voting taking place?

Thank you!

[Reply]

• Academic

How to drive student success topic of SBCC Faculty Lecture

• Student senate postpones Amendment A election

Board of Trustees

Board of Trustees approves student health fee increase

Academic

Staff, faculty emails and texts considered public record

Breaking News

SBCC shut down, classes cancelled due to power outage

Breaking News

White supremacy posters near SBCC cause concern

Board of Trustees

Non-residential student tuition to increase after Board of Trustees vote

Academic

Executive order puts nonnative students at risk for deportation

Administration

Council suggests new marketing hire to increase SBCC enrollment

Breaking News

SBCC Student Senate approves budget, supports housing

Breaking News

SBCC to hire 7 instructors amid anticipated $9 million deficit