Editors’ List: What do you wish you knew before attending college?

The+Channels+Spring+2024+editors+bunch+up+on+April+24+at+City+College+in+Santa+Barbara%2C+Calif.+For+the+first+time+since+the+coronavirus%2C+The+Channels+is+comprised+of+a+full+editorial+staff%2C+comprised+of+eight+editors.+
The Channels Spring 2024 editors bunch up on April 24 at City College in Santa Barbara, Calif. For the first time since the coronavirus, The Channels is comprised of a full editorial staff, comprised of eight editors.

As the spring semester comes to a close, amidst sunny weather and final exams, The Channels editors reflect on their educational journeys and share what they wish they knew before becoming a college student.

Angel Corzo, Editor-in-Chief

Angel Corzo

Before graduating high school, college was always a very exciting and joyful topic of conversation. As I began to finalize my packing for Chapman University by the end of summer 2021, feelings of fear and anxiety began to trickle from deep within me. By the time I had said goodbye to my mother and older sister, taken the elevator up to the third floor of my dorm building and shut the door behind me, my mind had lost control. For once in my life, I felt as alone as anyone could ever feel. New city, new school, new friends; the thought of all of these resulted in a panic-filled uncertainty of my life’s direction. The uncertainty of it all led to my withdrawal from the college. I headed back north to reconnect with the comforting familiarity of home. I fell out of love with architecture, and my path directed me towards writing instead. The moment I realized I needed to leave home once more and start a new life in Santa Barbara, my anxious thoughts reappeared. However, if it were not for my move, as well as my pursuit for journalism, I would not be standing in the imperative position I hold today. My newfound perception of home, as well as my efforts to further my education, have all come with the embracement of uncertainty. It is within these times that I feel the most uncomfortable, though at the same time the most alive. 

Ruby Cobourn, Opinion Editor

Ruby Cobourn

Two years ago, I was counting down the days until the bell marking the end of my last ever high school class rang through the halls. The person I was two years ago would not recognize who I am today. With less than a month until graduation, recent reflections on my college career thus far have made my drastic self growth apparent. In high school, my perception of myself and my surroundings was limited, although I did not know it at the time. I was ashamed to be attending City College while all my friends moved into the dorms of their universities. Questions from distant relatives of my future goals left me apprehensive and defeated. If I could have known about the abundance of opportunities that awaited me in Santa Barbara, maybe I could have spent more time enjoying my high school freedom and less time comparing my journey to everyone else’s. Moving out of my hometown taught me independence. Joining The Channels provided me with more clarity on the career path I hope to pursue. Now, with less than a month until graduation, I am regretfully counting down the days until I have to leave an era of my life behind, and attempting to soak up the final beach trips and roommate dinners before it’s all over. Two years ago, I spent a lot of time wishing for my time away. I wish I would have known then that I was capable of creating something that would make for a difficult goodbye.

Claire Geriak, Multimedia Editor

Claire Geriak

When I first arrived at City College, I wish that I understood more about the communities and clubs that were at my fingertips. These programs allowed me to try out many different hobbies, and gain new experiences, and most importantly make mistakes! I was always too scared to take that step, but reflecting on my time on campus, City College gave me room to make mistakes and find different passions. From Biology clubs’ weekend excursions to the crochet clubs’ fun activities, these communities on campus help build friendships and enhance certain skills I otherwise wouldn’t have had. When I think about all that I have learned from The Channels community, I reflect on how many other opportunities I would have had with other clubs. 

Cebelli Pfeifer, Features Editor

Cebelli PfeiferIf I could rewind the clock and talk to my younger self before entering college, I would definitely remind myself that everything happens for a reason. Just because I didn’t get that job or internship, or ended up at my dream school right out of high school, doesn’t mean I’m on the wrong path to fulfilling my aspirations. In high school, going to school in Santa Barbara or even staying in California wasn’t on my itinerary for reaching my occupational and educational goals, and I feel as though my younger self viewed it as somewhat of a “setback.” I wish I could tell myself at the time that setbacks are not roadblocks but rather detours that can lead to unforeseen opportunities for growth and life experiences. For the duration of my time at City College so far, I’ve been lucky enough to meet so many fascinating people, undergo so many different experiences, and live in such a naturally beautiful, exciting place. After living here for a year, I feel comfortable enough to call Santa Barbara my second home, a place where I never really thought I’d end up, but I’m so glad I did.

Sofia Stavins, News Editor

Time can be a constant stressor. Whether it be not having enough time to do your homework that is due in 30 minutes or being five minutes late to work. I wish I knew that it did not have to be something I stressed about when thinking of getting my college degree. I used to put constant pressure on myself to get my bachelors in four years even if that meant moving to a school in an area I hated. I was willing to sacrifice my happiness to finish my education if it meant being on the same timeline as my graduating high school class was. The day I chose to let go of the stressor of time with my education was the day I felt like I could breathe again and enjoy my present moment. If I could tell my first year version of myself something, it would be that you don’t have to follow the standard path. You can make your own. 

Sylvia Stewart, Sports Editor

Sylvia Stewart

Looking back at a year ago today, I’ve come to realize how much I’ve grown as a person, and most of all, how much I’ve learned. Leaving the place I grew up in, it took a lot of personal growth and courage to move away from home. There are many things I wish I knew before moving and starting college in Santa Barbara, but if I could have known anything, it would be that distance doesn’t separate people if the communication is mutual. Moving away from multiple close friends, I was afraid they would become distant and move on over time. As my new life began and I made an amiable friend group in Santa Barbara, I started to notice that most friends back home did stop reaching out as time went on. Instead, as the first month went by, I received care packages, letters, and phone calls from close friends that became routine. My first visit home brought up many worried thoughts, but when I saw my close friends again, it felt like we were closer than ever and nothing had changed. This helped me learn that true friends will always be there and care, no matter the distance. 

Julia Torres, A&E Editor

Julia Torres

Starting college was the only milestone I had since I was in middle school. The classes I would focus on, the extracurricular activities, and the scholarships I would apply to all came down to my eventual graduation from college. It was all I knew and all my family saw me doing. Looking back now, only a month before graduation, amidst the excitement and nerves, there are some things I wish I had done differently. Assignments and school work were always the main priority. The fear of slipping on my grades became the main contributor to my anxiety, causing my mental health to descend dangerously over the last two years. Knowing that there are times when taking time off to take a walk down the beach at sunset or to play a game of cards with my sister with our favorite playlist playing in the background was just as important as any midterm could have saved me from so much uneasiness and stress. Students have so much more on their plate than just the homework they get assigned from their class, and making sure that their happiness and state of mind is in the right place should be at the forefront of their concerns, especially when reaching the years in college where deciding what comes next may decide their future. 

Anthony Zell, Photo Editor

Anthony Zell

Something I wish I knew before attending City College was that I had the freedom to take whichever classes I wanted to. Coming out of high school, I was undecided on what I wanted to major in, and had kinesiology as a default. I took the classes required and recommended by my counselor, but none of them were classes I was truly interested in during my first couple of semesters. It wasn’t until one of the final classes I needed to take to obtain my associate degree for kinesiology was full that I decided to take some extracurricular classes, one of them being photography. I wish I knew it was okay to take other classes, and not just what was required. City College is a great place for young students to figure who they are and what they want to be by taking classes that they might have interest in and want to make a career out of. By doing so I discovered that my passion was photography, therefore changing my major and working towards a new degree.