Student senate attempts to overturn controversial meat ban

Daniel Wallace, Associate Editor

In response to student outcry, the Student Senate attempted to remove a ban Friday that prevents it from giving out food containing meat to students at senate-funded events.

The bylaw banning meat was not actually overturned, however, because a two-thirds vote of the entire membership is required. The vote was 3-0-1, with President Josh Villanueva abstaining and Student Trustee Krystle Farmer absent. That is three-fifths voting members of the senate, and thus does not meet the two-thirds majority needed.

It appeared that the senators were not aware that due to Farmers absence they did not have the two-thirds majority at the time needed to overturn.  

Although the vote to remove the ban occured Friday without discussion, the senate discussed it at length during the senate’s previous meeting on August 31.

“Everyone I spoke to talked about how it’s a very ridiculous law to pass because no government should limit the type of food people have,” said Kenny Igbechi, vice president of operations and finance. “The ASG is the advocate of students and we’re not making laws for ourselves — we’re making laws for the students.”

The meat ban was passed last semester and advocated for by then Sustainability Commissioner Nick Hofstatter and student Robert Coronado. It prevented the senate from using its funds to purchase foods containing meat with some exceptions, such as for money given in Club Grants and certain cultural events requiring meat.

In an interview with The Channels after the ban appeared to have been lifted Friday, Hofstatter said the goal of the ban was to decrease meat consumption and emphasize plant-based foods. Hofstatter said that because people look to City College as one of the best in the nation,  it may have helped to form similar policies on other campuses. He believes this would decrease demand for meat and force the animal agriculture industry and its harms to shrink in the long term.

“Global animal agriculture is the cause of more greenhouse gas emissions than all the world’s transportation vehicles combined,” Hofstatter said. “My main concern is that if we don’t make a significant dent in our emissions between now and 2030, we’re looking at a warming trend that would cause a lot of permafrost in the arctic to melt.”

It has been widely reported that the release of methane from melting permafrost in the Arctic may make climate change self-reinforcing and out of human control.

Igbechi requested the senate review the ban after hearing several complaints from students. Student Advocate Christopher Lee also attested to this during the August 31 meeting, having also received feedback about the ban that was predominantly negative.

“There’s a lot of students who say ‘why ban meat in the first place,’” said Lee.

Vanessa Vera, vice president of external affairs, said she supported having more inclusive options for everyone.

The public was given an opportunity to send comments to the senate about its August 31 proposal to lift the meat ban between then and Friday’s vote. However, no comments from the public were referenced during Friday’s meeting.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Student senate attempts to overturn controversial meat ban”

1. Heather Moore on September 10th, 2018 3:01 pm

Compassionate, health-conscious, and environmentally friendly students don’t even eat meat. Most people are striving to eat more vegan meals. They’re cholesterol-free, low in saturated fat, and studies shows that vegans are considerably less likely to suffer from cancer, heart disease, diabetes, and other life-threatening illnesses. Oxford University researchers estimate that 8.1 million human lives—not to mention billions of animals—could be saved each year if everyone stopped eating animal-based foods. Caring students know that animals don’t have to suffer and die just for them to eat. Vegan foods are tasty, humane, and better for the environment. I encourage students to check out http://www.peta2.com for more info.

[Reply]

2. 涂芬妮 on September 11th, 2018 8:47 am

I think the Senate should consider providing a vegetarian or vegan option as well as the meat option. This way, students are given a choice and the Senate does its part in accommodating both sides.

[Reply]

• Student senate attempts to overturn controversial meat ban

News

SBCC student falls off cliff in I.V.

News

Skating accident and backpack theft in this week’s crime log

News

SBCC Trustees approve new committee despite backlash

News

Academic Senate considers anti-bullying, harassment resolutions

News

President Beebe apologizes for gender equity issues on campus

News

Grand theft auto and silly string defacement in last week’s crimes

News

SBCC, ex-philosophy instructor agree to $120,000 settlement

News

Student senate aims to strengthen its public relations

News

Board of Trustees discusses renovations on campus

News

SBCC crime recap: disabled placard misuse, verbal abuse