SBCC professor gives lecture on history of rape culture in America

History Professor Danielle Swiontek gives a lecture on “20 Minutes of Action: The History of Rape Culture in the U.S.” at the West Campus Center at City College in Santa Barbara, Calif., on Thursday, Oct. 12, 2018.

Alejandro Gonzalez Valle

Alejandro Gonzalez Valle

Hayze Law, Staff Writer

An event titled “20 Minutes of Action” discussed the issue of rape culture in a historical context using current cases to illustrate points during a lecture on Thursday in the Equity Center.  

In wake of the recent nomination of Judge Brett Kavanaugh, students gathered for an event which explored the history of rape culture and provided a space for discussion. The lecturer was Danielle Swiontek, a feminist and history professor who specializes in women’s studies.

The event was presented by The Center for Equity and Social Justice at SBCC, a group which puts on lectures about social issues such as race, gender, class etc. on a regular basis.

Politics aside, the discussion sought to to answer one comprehensive question: how do we change the culture around rape?

“There are a lot of ways we could slice into the nomination hearings, but I’m just going to use it as a frame for looking at rape culture on display,” Swiontek said.

Historically, rape has been perpetually redefined by the dominant lawmakers of the time, particularly in early America. Under a legal system dominated by white males, the issue of rape was advertently muted.

For instance, prior to the civil rights movement, in many states American marriages adhered to the laws of coverture, a doctrine which granted men sole ownership over their wives. In addition, validity of sexual consent was contingent on citizenship, or otherwise ignored.

Swiontek suggested that “black women speaking out on sexual assault helped fuel the civil rights movement.” In a nation poised precariously between white male dominance and female subordination, rape victims of color such as Recy Taylor (1944, Abbeville, AL) lifted the voices of the unheard.

Primarily, it is the reigning societal structure of the time that shapes rape culture. Sexual assault has been an issue throughout all of history but in 2018 it is still one of the major social issues discussed.

By nature, situations of rape are complex and difficult to define, thus easily circumvented by perpetrators. There are little guidelines for prosecuting the accused without empirical evidence.

Without formal boundaries, crimes are neglected, victims are silenced and criminalization is evaded.

“When a person is a victim of sexual assault, their life is impacted forever, but we negate that. We dismiss it,” said Student Program Advisor Roxane Pate.

The event’s official title, “20 Minutes of Action: The History of Rape Culture in the US,” was originated in the midst of the 2016 sexual assault case against Brock Turner. The title “20 Minutes of Action” stems directly from words of the defendant’s father.

“That is a steep price to pay for 20 minutes of action out of his 20 plus years of life,” wrote Dan A. Turner, in a plea to judges to reconsider sentencing his son to prison. “His life will never be the one that he dreamed about and worked so hard to achieve.”

The quote prompted Swiontek to join forces with Pate to create a series which “gives a voice to the underrepresented individuals and communities.”

After a national scandal, the conversation about sexual assault is at the forefront of society, which has “awakened the beast,” she said. They are left “feeling triggered, and in a way assaulted” in regards to the Kavanaugh verdict.

During the latter half of the event, the audience engaged in an emotionally charged discussion.

Most agreed to effectively resolve this issue children must learn to establish a sense of ownership over their bodies early on.

“We need to start educating everyone, not just boys, but girls as well, to understand what consent means from a young age and to continue that message throughout their educational period” said audience member, Zoe Donnenfield.

Swiontek agreed, adding “I never forced my kids to kiss their grandparents.”

According to the presentation, “1 in 3 women are assaulted by the time they are 18.” In the same breath, Swiontek reaffirmed the popular hashtag “not all men.”.

In fact, only 10 percent of men are assaulters, and the ones who are tend to be serial predators, often having already raped an average of seven women before being convicted. In which case, research accredits such behavior to a low capacity for empathy.

These statistics reflect the alarming prevalence of sexual violence within our culture. What’s more, every 98 seconds, an American is sexually assaulted. These norms infiltrate the fabric of society and dilute the severity of sexual violence.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “SBCC professor gives lecture on history of rape culture in America”

1. Alex Madajian on October 13th, 2018 4:21 pm

To believe that 10% of men are serial rapists is truly astounding. If that really was reality, no one would walk outside of their house without a gun.

2. Richard Feilden on October 15th, 2018 11:29 am

Alex, it seems as though you are dismissing the statistic offered by the Professor. In doing so you are making a few critical mistakes. Firstly, you’ve managed to conflate the terms assault and rape. Sexual assault covers a wide range of offences, including rape. ‘10% of men are serial rapists’ is thus a straw man.

When you say that ‘no one would leave their house without a gun’, perhaps you might consider taking a look at the conversations that women are having online about the way that they structure their lives for just this reason. The considerations that most men do not make – making sure that their drink is never out of their sight, pretending to be on the phone to a boyfriend/husband (who may not exist) to deter predatory men, grabbing their pepper spray before leaving the house for a run, calling a lyft to go 4 blocks at night in IV because last time they walked that distance they were assaulted, wondering if the lyft driver they called will attack them etc. etc. etc. Men are insulated from this because we don’t think it will happen to us, and we don’t ask.

Perhaps before you dismiss information in future, you might consider the point being made a little more carefully.

3. Danielle Swiontek on October 15th, 2018 3:26 pm

Dear Alex,

I’ve included some links below to research on sexual assault survivors and perpetrators. The last link summarizes a 2017 study published in the academic journal Journal on Studies of Alcohol and Drugs. Among 1,000 US college men nationwide, almost 18% admitted to sexually assaulting a woman.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/30/health/men-rape-sexual-assault.html

https://www.rainn.org/statistics/perpetrators-sexual-violence

https://www.nsvrc.org/statistics

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/sexual-assault-victims/

http://www.sarsonline.org/resources-stats/reports-laws-statics

http://www.buffalo.edu/news/releases/2016/12/002.html

To your second point, while women may not arm themselves with guns to leave the house, they often carry mace or pepper spray and limit their activities (i.e., don’t walk at night, don’t rent first-floor apartments, etc.) I’ve included a link to a song parody of the decisions women have to make to try to ensure their physical safety. It’s amusing but aptly describes women’s experiences. You did not attend the talk on Thursday, so you missed our discussion of this very situation.

Sincerely,
    Dr. Danielle Swiontek

Parody song: https://youtu.be/9REkb9clVw4

• SBCC professor gives lecture on history of rape culture in America

Animals come to SBCC for Wags n’ Whiskers adoption festival

Artist gives lecture on her unusual sculptures at SBCC

Study abroad trip to Germany will focus on art, graphic design

SBCC artists show sculptures and collages from unusual materials

Animal Liberation club fights for the ethical treatment of animals

Panelists offer advice to students aspiring to work with animals

“Mourning/Warning” art exhibit explores being black in America

SBCC offers support for students dealing with mental health

Unorthodox instructor practices medieval combat for research

Black transfer success program Umoja begins classes at SBCC