Student voices will take center stage with ‘SBCC Stories’ show

Courtesy image from SBCC Theatre Arts

City College’s Theatre Department is showcasing campus voices this semester by putting on an original online production, written entirely with stories from its own creative community.

Students, staff and faculty are being encouraged by the department to submit stories for the upcoming online production, “SBCC Stories.”

“Think about something that has happened to you in real life, and tell us a story,” Theatre Department Co-Chair Katie Laris said. 

Currently there aren’t any set themes for submissions, but the stories can be “whimsical, poignant, comical or surprising,” Theatre Manager Pamela Lasker said in a campus-wide email. 

Laris said the show’s director, Maggie Mixsell, will be selecting the stories and choosing the theme from the submissions. The department is looking to do two or three one-hour shows, with each having its own theme. 

Laris also said that video submissions, or contacting her through email, may be accepted as well.

Those interested in submitting stories can do so via write-in, not exceeding 1400 words. 

The department is taking inspiration from “The Moth Radio Hour,” a radio show that serves as a platform for members of the public to share their own personal stories. 

Differing from the radio show, the Theatre Department will actually be filming at the Garvin Theatre, with social distancing and an eight-foot wall of plexiglass to protect the performers, staff and faculty. Participants have the option of either performing their own story, or having an actor perform it for them.

To prevent the spread of COVID-19, rehearsals will be held via Zoom, with one practice show at the Garvin Theatre before filming.

“We want to get people involved in any way they can,” said Technical Director Ben Crop, who will be filming the show, “whether they want to act, write or upload an audio file or video.”

The department’s goal through this project is to “produce art for the community and the world of storytelling,” Crop said. 

He mentioned that it is easy to get stuck in our own bubbles behind screens and that through doing this he hopes to bring a sense of togetherness. 

Those interested in submitting their stories can do so here, and the submission deadline is February 5.