SBCC students underprepared for assessment tests

Rachel Zemanek, News Editor

A growing trend statewide has made itself known at City College as the under preparedness of students affects the standardized assessment test scores.

The 2014 President’s Message showed that, based on a small sample of incoming high school students, 87 percent assess below college level English and 45 percent assess below college level math.

“There has been a trend statewide that we’re focused on responding to,” said Dr. Lori Gaskin, City College superintendent president.

Lauren Wintermeyer, director of dual enrollment, runs a program called “Get Focused, Stay Focused” for Santa Barbara area high school students.

The program starts in ninth grade and makes students aware of college expectations. They learn about career and education planning and what the measures are for college readiness. The assessment test scores are much less dramatic for Dual Enrolled students than for part-time and full-time college students. Sixty-five percent of DE students assess below college level English and 37 percent below college level math.

“Somewhere in the system we’re either not correctly aligning the course or not correctly assessing the student,” Wintermeyer said.

A report by WestEd, an educational research organization, found that “the state [CA] has been less successful in preparing high school students to succeed in college-level courses and ensuring that those in college complete their postsecondary educational programs.”

According to the report, students felt they were not challenged enough or taught the right material in high school. Some said that teachers were only concerned with “getting them through high school” and “they didn’t expect them to go to college.”

Gaskin calls the “Get Focused, Stay Focused” program the “most innovative thing we’ve done” to help high school students prepare for the assessment tests in hopes of improving the scores.

In most cases, English and math assessment tests are required for degree-seeking students. With 73 percent of students at City College under 25 years old, basic high school courses are still somewhat fresh in their minds. However, some students have as much as a six-year break from those courses, making it difficult to place into the classes they need.

“It’s the whole thing around high stakes testing,” Wintermeyer said. “Does it really assess what they know and their ability to learn?”

With support for high school students taken care of, the next step is to help those who have had a hiatus from school.

Some California Colleges, like Grossmont College in El Cajon, offer practice tests and refresher courses before the students take the assessment test.

“When you’ve gone through a dry spell of not thinking math, all it takes typically is a refresher,” Gaskin said.

City College also offers sample tests as well as a summer “boot camp,” but little else to help students prepare for testing. If a student feels like they might have a learning disability, making them unable to do well on the assessment tests, they can go to the Disabled Student Programs and Services Department (DSPS) to determine limitations and accommodations.

DSPS students are offered enrollment in the Express to Success (ESP) Program. ESP allows any student that places below college level math or English to take more than one of the required classes in one semester at an accelerated pace with help in a Learning Community.

“I’m not suggesting that we’re out of the norm,” Gaskin said. “I’m suggesting that it validates our efforts that we’re making to really look at innovative and strategic ways to address that under preparedness and to create a culture of college readiness.”

Editors Note:
A version of this story published Monday, Feb. 10, erroneously reported that assessment scores were based on the college’s estimated 20,000 students. In fact, the assessment scores were based only on students coming to the college from local and statewide high schools. It is a much smaller number than 20,000. Santa Barbara City College is working to finalize the statistics, which will be published in a follow-up story. 

Comments

One Response to “SBCC students underprepared for assessment tests”

1. Mark McIntire on February 10th, 2014 7:56 pm

Somewhere in the system we’re either not correctly aligning the course or not correctly assessing the student,” Wintermeyer said. Bingo! We are not properly or correctly assessing the students ability to LEARN HOW TO LEARN

THIS IS THE MISSING ELEMENT. WE KEEP STUDENTS DEPENDENT ON INSTRUCTION AND TESTING. WE DO NOT TEACH THEM TO LEARN HOW TO LEARN.. By the time they reach my class PHIL-111, it’s too late for most of them. They cannot compose a simple sentence. They do not understand the difference between a belief and a fact. They do not understand the difference between an opinion and a claim. They are told the science has all the answers to every single human question. They are told to rely on science and only science for all knowledge and wisdom. They are never taught how to learn on their own without teachers or professors. Consequently, when they arrive at Santa Barbara city College most if not all of their experience is remedial since they have never been taught how to learn on their own. They are thoroughly deep pendant. They expect to be carried around on sedan chairs.. And it’s not their fault. Because the system that brought them here has taught that be a victim. Be deprived. Be depressed. Be downtrodden. Be inferior and therefore depend upon us to save you from ignorance. Poppycock. Eyewash. Balderdash. Any student of average intelligence can be taught how to learn on their own. We simply prefer to make them dependent on us to teach them everything.. We don’t correctly assess them before they arrive at city College because we never asked the question, CAN you learn on your own without me? The answer in the overwhelming number of cases is NO I CAN’T.

[Reply]

*