Counselors available to students after fatal motorcycle accident

Delaney Smith, Editor-in-Chief

A motorcyclist suffered fatal injuries Monday evening after a near-collision in front of the East Campus Entrance, according to Santa Barbara Police Department Spokesman Anthony Wagner. 

LeMar Quazon Young, 24, was reportedly traveling east at a high speed down the right lane of Cliff Drive when a white BMW pulled out of the East Campus Entrance to turn right into the same lane. Both Young and the BMW driver pulled over towards the left lane in an attempt to avoid the collision, which resulted in the motorcyclist fishtailing and then being ejected from the bike.

The motorcycle and the BMW never actually collided and it is unknown whether the driver of the BMW was injured. The identity of the BMW driver has not been released yet.

According to Wagner, there was an off-duty nurse and EMT who attempted to save Young’s life before the ambulance arrived, but he was pronounced dead at the scene. There were many City College staff, faculty, and students who witnessed the graphic incident, according to the City College Public Information Officer Luz Reyes-Martin

There are emotional support counselors available on campus from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. today in East Campus Classrooms Room 21 “The Well” as well as Campus Classrooms 226, The Umoja Center, for anyone who witnessed the incident or knew the victim.

A link to his GoFundMe page to pay for his funeral costs can be found here

Editor’s Note:

This story has been changed from a previous version to clarify the name of the motorcyclist in the accident.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Counselors available to students after fatal motorcycle accident”

1. Brett on December 5th, 2018 8:30 am

Don’t ride motorcycles. The valedictorian of my dads high school class was killed by someone running a stop sign the summer after graduation.

2. Tori Batsula on December 8th, 2018 8:59 am

Telling someone not to ride motorcycles is not your place. Instead, SBCC should look at the circumstances that may have lead to this students death. Due to the bus stop blocking the line of view of cars exiting campus, a near miss is almost a weekly if not daily occursnce.