SBCC President addresses controversy in all-campus email

The Channels Opinion Pages | STATEMENT

Anthony Beebe, Superintendent-President

Superintendent-President Anthony Beebe sent out this letter via email Nov. 20 in response to a recent controversy around Lyndsay Maas, vice president of business services. The full story about the controversy can be found here. 

Dear SBCC Community –

As you may be aware, last week, in a campus committee meeting of faculty, staff, and students on the subject of Gender Equity, Lyndsay Maas, Vice President of Business Services, used a derogatory racial term (the “N” word) in a conversation about racist activity on our campus. Her use of this word was to describe how some students use this word on campus.

I want to make it absolutely clear that use of derogatory, racist language is absolutely unacceptable and contrary to our College’s Mission, Vision, and Core Values. It has no place on our campus. That word should never, ever be used, regardless of the reason or context. Therefore, this employee was placed on unpaid administrative leave, beginning Monday morning, November 19, 2018. She has apologized for use of this word and the pain it has caused. At her request, I am sharing with you her letter of apology (linked here).

Santa Barbara City College is not unaffected by the history and power dynamics that support racism and other forms of discrimination. As an institution of learning, we must hold ourselves and each other accountable and commit to the necessary work to address and root out racism and inequity on our campus. Racism and inequality are painful aspects of our history and remain in our environment. We must change that. As difficult as this work may be, it must continue. The work requires all of us, and I welcome all voices, from throughout campus, to be part of making this institutional change.

Sincerely,

Anthony Sig small.jpg

3 Comments

3 Responses to “SBCC President addresses controversy in all-campus email”

1. Brandon Bernstein on November 21st, 2018 6:55 pm

“The work requires all of us, and I welcome all voices, from throughout campus, to be part of making this institutional change.” A fish rots from the head down. Why don’t you take some time to do some hard work, Dr. Beebe.

2. Jaye on November 21st, 2018 9:41 pm

Brandon, SBCC is not a fish; nor is it rotten top, down or sideways. College is the liminal space between childhood and adult hood. Struggle, retreat, grow, learn and move on.

3. Jaye on November 23rd, 2018 12:06 pm

I repeat:

It has become clear one unsafe space on campus has become participation in “equity workshops” where the price of good-faith participation is now your own job. Set clear ground rules for all parties, before even considering future participation in these workshops.

Consider these encounters sacred spaces in which all agree upfront there will be no ex post facto Title Nine complaints; no threats to one campus employment or enrollment status; no campus wide email blasts; no unilateral demands; no outside protests; no doxxing; no reading other people’s minds or intentions; no apology demands; no apologies given; and no arbitrary and punitive definitions of so-called trigger words.