Sports Brief – A Jake Tipton grand slam not enough for victory

Ben Westrup

The Vaqueros dropped their second league game 9-7 to the Hancock Bulldogs Saturday, despite a big day at the plate from freshman catcher Jake Tipton.

Tipton hit two home runs, including a grand slam in the third, to lead the Vaqueros offensively. But it wasn’t enough as they suffered their third consecutive loss, lowering their overall record to 8-8-1.

Hancock College did most of its damage with a two-out, six-run rally in the second inning.

Tipton’s solo shot in the sixth gave him his second multi-homer game and six homeruns on the year.

“I was seeing the ball well, but I didn’t come through when it was needed most,” said Tipton. He struck out in the ninth inning with runners in scoring position.

This was the Vaqueros second consecutive loss to the Bulldogs after losing 4-2 at Hancock last Thursday.

“Yeah sure we’re competitive, yeah sure we’re in every game,” said Warrecker. “But the goal is not to be competitive. The goal is to win games.”