SBCC’s Honors Program to host 13th Annual Student Conference

Students will present their original work at the 13th Annual Student Conference, hosted by the Honors Program at noon Friday, April 22, in the Business-Communications Forum.

All students were encouraged to submit work such as written papers, artwork, music or even movies that represent their idea of this year’s topic, “Lives: Decent/Indecent, Indulged/Indignant.”

“The goal is to empower students,” said Dr. Melanie Eckford-Prossor, director of the honors program. “We are not fitting you into a mold, we’re fitting into yours.”

This year the Honor’s Program asked students, “What makes a decent life? Who decides when a life is indecent? Do we owe the indigent anything?”

Faculty and honor student committee leaders will select the top 24 submissions by students who will then be asked to present them at the conference. The winners will be picked before the event. There is a $1,000 prize for first place, $500 for second, and $200 for third.

At the event, there will be two one-hour sessions, or panels. The first panel is set to begin at 12:40 p.m. Each session will be organized into sections and grouped by similarities based on submissions, consisting of about three students moderated by an honor student.

The students will have 10 to 15 minutes each to present and then there will be an open discussion, allowing the students to engage in other’s ideas.

“The topics are weird and broad, and we are truly looking for what those ideas mean to that student,” said Eckford-Prossor. “They are free to work through their ideas in an open forum.”

In years past, there has been interpretive dance, art pieces, movies, an experiment on Facebook and even a eulogy.

“I am definitely looking forward to hearing what all of the different students from various walks of life will choose to focus on in their submissions,” said Bianca Wagner, co-president of the honors program.

The second panel will start at 1:45 p.m. At 3:30 p.m. the winners will be announced, and the student who placed 1st will present his or her work.

“Having a conference that is completely driven by student voices is inspiring and usually my mind is completely blown by the different topics that students have such deep understanding of,” Wagner said.

For more information on the event, go to the Honors Program website.